Does your child have lots of extra energy? Are you looking to help them find an outlet to express it? Well, play dough is a great technique! Follow this quick and simple recipe you can make at home that will provide your child with lots of entertainment.
What You’ll Need:
- A large mixing bowl
- One cup of water
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (you can use baby oil or coconut oil)
- 1 ½ cups salt
- Food Coloring (Optional)
- Have your child pour one cup of water into a large mixing bowl.
- If you use food coloring. Ask your child what they think will happen when you add the food coloring. Add a few drops until you get the desired color. Mix until the color is dissolved.
- Add 4 cups of flour and 1 ½ cups of salt to the mixture. Stir mixture.
- Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of oil (you can always add more later). If your mixture is crumbly you will need to add more oil.
- Encourage your child to knead the mixture with their hands until it is completely formed.
- Have fun and enjoy! Model how to roll a ball, make a snake, or stretch the play dough, etc.
This activity will help to enhance your child’s listening skills and ability to follow directions. Concepts of math and measurement are learned through actually participating in the completion of this recipe. Pre-writing and fine motor skills will be enhanced and developed through rolling and stretching. This experience should also help your child to self soothe and should have a calming effect.
Store and Put Away:
Simply put this play dough into a Tupperware container that seals shut.